- This event has passed.
April 11 @ 11:00 am - 1:30 pm$10.00
Artesia Altrusa Club Presents:
58th Annual (Drive Through) Smorgasbord!
Artesia Altrusa Club is hosting their annual Smorgasbord lunch fundraiser on Sunday, April 11, 2021. This year they will be doing it drive-through style from 11:00 – 1:30 pm.
After purchasing tickets, pop by Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church St. Damien Center located at 1111 N. Roselawn Avenue in Artesia, NM. The menu has been changed up a bit this year and they are offering cheese or meat red chile enchiladas with beans and rice, crackers and a dessert for just $10 per plate.
You can pre-purchase tickets from any Altrusa member or at Brown Drug (322 W. Washington) or you can send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to arrange pick up of tickets.
Interested in Altrusa?
Altrusa International was founded in Nashville, Tennessee in 1917, originally as Altrusa Institute. During that time, a record number of women were going to work during World War I, and there was a need for women’s civic organizations. Dr. Alfred Durham began organizing clubs throughout Nashville, TN, Louisville, KY, and Dayton, OH, before he moved on to Indianapolis, IN, where he met Mamie L. Bass.
Mamie L. Bass had served as the Superintendent of the Women’s Division of the United States Employment Services, and was a partner in her brother’s architecture firm. While she admired Dr. Durham’s Institute, Bass felt that Altrusa could serve a higher purpose. In June 1918, when Altrusa held its first convention in Indianapolis, Mamie L. Bass’s vision became reality. The Altrusa Institute became a classified service organization for women.
In 1935, Altrusa became international when the first club in Mexico was organized. Since that first step over US borders, Altrusa moved into Puerto Rico, Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, India, Korea, Russia, Ukraine, Ireland, Great Britain, Bermuda, Canada, and New Zealand.
In 1946, Altrusa sent its first representative to the United Nations. In 1962, Altrusa International established the Altrusa International Foundation. In 1966, the organization established ASTRA.